A 4 day Art Appreciation weekend to Dublin. Stopping for 3 nights at the Grand Canal Hotel in the Balls Bridge district of Dublin, ideally located for our excursions. We stay here on a B&B basis. There is a restaurant and a lively pub at the hotel and there are plenty of alternative places to eat very close by
- National Gallery of Ireland
- Hugh Lane Gallery
- The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle
- Irish Museum of Modern Art
- Trinity Library
Full Tour Details
The Capital of Ireland since the Republics foundation in 1922 the city is the home to just under two million inhabitants. The city has a wealth of art and architecture. We will visit many of the most important venues during our stay.
Friday 26th – Monday 29th January 2018
We will be meeting at Liverpool John Lennon Airport at 07.00 in plenty of time for the 08.25 flight. As we are only taking a 3 night break we will not be including hold luggage. The allowance is a 10kg cabin case.
On arrival in Dublin we will be transported by private coach around the City for the duration of our stay.
The venues we intend to visit on this trip are listed below:
- National Gallery of Ireland – works by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Picasso, Turner, Velazquez. While we are there the Vaughan Bequest of Turner watercolours will be on display.
- Hugh Lane Gallery – this is the oldest gallery of modern and contemporary art in Ireland. The collection includes important impressionist paintings, a remarkable collection of stained glass and a recreation of Francis Bacon’s studio.
- The Chester Beatty Library in Dublin Castle – Lonely Planet guide says – ‘not just the best museum in Dublin but one of the best in Europe’. Houses treasures from Asia, the Middle East, North Africa and Europe.
- Irish Museum of Modern Art – Royal Hospital Kilmainham consisting of over 3500 works by Irish and international artists. The collection’s emphasis is on works produced post-1940 and features works by many significant artists including Marina Abramović, Louise Bourgeois, Joseph Cornell, Robert Rauschenberg, Sol LeWitt, Louis le Brocquy, Matt Mullican, Roy Lichtenstein.
- Trinity Library-Book of Kells and Old Library -The Library is the permanent home to the famous Book of Kells. Two of the four volumes are on public display, one opened to a major decorated page and the other to a typical page of text.
We also intend to allow a certain amount of free time in the city for individuals to explore.
On Monday 29th January we will be flying home at 18.10 and arriving back at Liverpool at 19.05.
Location Map - Grand Canal Hotel, Ireland
If you have any questions about this or any of our tours please get in touch